Wednesday 14 April 2010

The Little Red Westwood


Dear Nick,
Thank you for your email, the history of the Red Tractor is as follows;

A Westwood tractor was originally purchased from Makro, it was a 7/8HP with 3 speed gear box, we had that much trouble with it that Makro arranged for it to be returned to Westwood in Plymouth at the end of the summer. Westwood actually collected it in one of their lorries. Some weeks later I received a letter from Westwood (which I may still have somewhere) stating they had dismantled the tractor and had learnt a great deal from it, to save reassembling it would I accept one of their new 11HP 5 speed Gazelles in free replacement, so naturally I said thank you very much, and it was duly delivered on document " Order No 13961 but no date". it originally came with a grass box, subsequently I purchased the "lawngroomer" and the "snow plough attachment" (on an invoice from Westwood dated 5/01/1979) on different occasions. Unfortunately using the snow plough damaged the steering and it became very sloppy, on another occasion I broke a half shaft for which I managed to get a replacement, and also the rod from the steering box to the trackrod end had to be welded, it was never the same. It had a habit of getting though drive belts to the cutting deck fairly regularly.


Hope you find this interesting,
Kind regards,
Donald P.

3 comments: